BURSARIES FOR ATTENDING DENMAN 2018/19
A number of bursaries are available for the 2018/19 programme year. The Denman Committee thanks the donors of bursaries listed below for their support in this year’s programme.
FEDERATION AND WI BURSARIES
Many Federations and WIs give one or more Denman bursaries, usually allocated following a ballot. Contact your local Federation or WI for details.
BURSARIES ALLOCATED BY FEDERATIONS (Funds held by Denman)
One of the following bursaries may be related to your federation. Please contact your Federation Office as soon as possible for details and method of application.
PLEASE DO NOT SEND APPLICATIONS FOR THESE BURSARIES TO DENMAN – THEY MUST BE SENT TO YOUR FEDERATION OFFICE.
Berkshire Federation – Nancy Stancliffe A bursary set up in memory of Nancy Stancliffe by her family to alternate between Berkshire and Oxfordshire federations of which Nancy was a member. A bursary for £330 is available to a member of Berkshire Federation this year.
Gwynedd-Meirionydd Federation – Lady Denman This bursary was set up in memory of Lady Denman and is awarded in turn, to each federation. The bursary will fund a place on a NFWI training course held at Denman.
Lancashire Federation – Dorothy Riding A bursary generously given by a late member to mark her long-standing involvement with the WI movement and Denman. A bursary for £165 is available for a member of Lancashire Federation this year.
Northumberland Federation – Ella Pattinson A bursary set up in memory of Ella Pattinson is available for a WI member from Northumberland for £330 plus up to £50 towards travel costs.
North Yorkshire East and North Yorkshire West Federations – Mary Longworth Two bursaries for £165 each are available. One for a member of North Yorkshire West Federation and one for a member of North Yorkshire East Federation, to be used towards a residential course.
Wiltshire Federation – Amesbury Afternoon: A bursary for £100 is available for a first-time attendee, who comes from a WI situated in Bourne Valley, Woodford Valley or Salisbury Plain areas. If not taken up by a member from the designated area, the bursary will be offered to any member from Wiltshire Federation.
Country Markets – Claire Balmer Bursary : Two bursaries for £330 are available for a residential course.
BURSARIES ALLOCATED BY DENMAN
Denman bursaries are supported by donations including donations given by or in memory of Vera Cox, Dr Ernest Walker, Jessie Burns, Joan Yeo, Claire Emery, Kathleen Mary Hughes and Olive Kenyon.
Denman First-Timer bursaries – Eight bursaries for £300 each and one for £250 are available for a WI member attending a residential course for the first time.
Denman Carer bursaries – Three bursaries for up to £450 each for a 2 night residential course plus care costs and travel are available for any WI member who is a full time carer.
BURSARIES DONATED BY INDIVIDUALS
Freda Barnicoat Kindly donated by John Barnicoat in memory of his wife. Four course bursaries for £300 each and four course bursaries for £200 each are available for first time attendees on a residential course.
Netherhall Kindly donated by an avid Denman supporter. Eight course bursaries for £250 each are available for any WI member attending a residential course.
Beryl Allen legacy Kindly donated by James Allen and his sister in memory of their mother Beryl Allen. Ten course bursaries for £300 each and eight course bursaries for £250 each are available for first time attendees on a residential course.
Mary Pexton Kindly donated by Mary Pexton. Five course bursaries for £300 each are available for first time attendees on a residential course.
HOW TO APPLY FOR BURSARIES
To apply for any of the Denman bursaries detailed above, please send a short letter in support of your application to:
Karen Hodge, Denman, Marcham, OXON, OX13 6NW or email: email@example.com
In your letter or email please give the following details:
- Your full name, contact details, WI and Federation
- The name of the bursary you would like to apply for
- How you would benefit from attending the course
- Whether you have received a bursary from Denman in the past
- The number and title of the course you would like to attend if your application for a bursary is successful plus a second and third choice.
- Any accommodation or dietary needs, should your application be successful
The closing date for applications is Friday 20 July 2018. Successful applicants will be contacted in writing by Friday 3 August 2018.
Regrettably it will not be possible to notify unsuccessful applicants.
- All bursaries awarded must be used on residential courses taking place between 1 October 2018 and the end of September 2019.
- For WI individual members only.
- Only one bursary may be applied for per individual.
- A bursary cannot be awarded to anyone who has been awarded a Denman bursary in the past three years.
- Denman Bursaries are open to WI members only, for residential open courses and cannot be applied to a course arranged via a federation or a small group booking.
- Denman Bursaries cannot be applied to courses already booked.
- Carer costs will be paid after the course attendance upon a receipt or invoice.